Fultoos Timepass Gupshup 2 - the argument at the pharmacy

Fultoos Timepass Gupshup 2

I was at a pharmacy, waiting my turn to ask for medicines on the prescriptions with me. The counters were crowded and I felt that it would not be wise to push in and insist on service earlier than the others who were obviously in greater need. The young owner of the pharmacy was busy on the cellphone and had stepped out of the shop premises to the pavement and was standing alongside me. We were chatting acquaintances as I was a frequent customer at the pharmacy.

A youngish couple, husband and wife, possibly in their early 30s, walked up to the entrance of the shop. The wife carried an infant girl child and a largish shopping bag. The husband was talking on his cellphone and looked up at the pharmacy and pointed. The wife nodded and they spoke to one another, standing nearer to me and the owner of the pharmacy. They were speaking in Telugu and as I understood the language perfectly, I could overhear their discussion that grew to an argument and later matured into a battle about both their families and their parents and all their ancestors.

Husband: “Do you remember the names of the medicines that I had to purchase for my fever and sore throat and body ache and all that? I do not have the prescription with me.”

Wife: “I do not remember the names but it would be common medicines for fever and your problems. You can ask one of the pharmacists to help you. I am sure that they know what to give you. My brother down at Chennai always does that. He goes directly to the Sivaprasad Chemist at Mambalam and gets whatever he needs. They help him always. You can also do that.”

Husband: “Arre… There you go again, talking about your brother. He is a good-for-nothing chap who never had any proper job and therefore cannot afford to go to a proper doctor. Do not compare me with him. I have a responsible job at a respectable office and people look at me for guidance. I was only trying to remember the medicines in my prescription. I do not want to purchase any wrong ones.”

I was smiling, very faintly, and enjoying the discussion. The owner of the pharmacy looked at me curiously. He came nearer and asked if I understood what the husband and wife were speaking about. I nodded and whispered to explain. He wanted to help out but I pointed out that they wanted to wait for one of the counters to get vacated.

The wife looked quite irritated. She said, “If you are so intelligent, you should be able to remember your prescription. But, since we are here, do purchase that extra wings sanitary pads pouch for me. I need it badly. It will be anyday now and I do not have any pads back at home.”

Husband, more irritated than the wife, “We should not purchase any such stuff here in this small pharmacy. They will be costly. They will sell at MRP price only. We can purchase it at that large super bazaar when we go on the Sunday. They always sell at 5 or 10 rupees less. Better to purchase at that place. You can get 2-3 packets at one purchase. We will save at least 30 rupees.”

Wife: “But what if I need it tomorrow or tonight? Sunday is 4 days away and you always give the excuse that you want to stay at home and take rest and not go to the super bazaar. What if we do not go to the super bazaar on this Sunday? How will I manage?”

Husband: “Let us concentrate on remembering my prescription. You are disturbing my concentration. I was trying to focus and remember. Remember, this is a pharmacy. We did not come here to purchase your sanitary pads. What would your brother do if his wife wanted to purchase at a costly shop?”

Wife: “Costly? How did my brother come into this topic? No shop sells sanitary pads at more than MRP. At least ask for the extra wings one. Maybe this pharmacy sells it at a discount. Who knows? And we did not come here for your medicines. We were just walking by. You should ask the ladies in your family. Would they agree to wait for the Sunday to go to the super bazaar? You would have run all the way from the house to here and back to purchase for them. But not for me, you will not.”

(c) Bharat Bhushan, 27 April 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment