Sleepless at the ICU and the lady patient from Bed No. 32

 “Try to sleep now. You will feel better in the morning. We have given you a good anti-depressant tablet also.”

“How can I sleep?” I replied. “I have nothing to do. You did not allow my laptop in the ICU and my cellphone is also confiscated and kept in the locker. How can I even try to go to sleep? I can only sit on my cot in my semi-cabin and keep watching the other patients in the ICU. I cannot get sleep in any case. Remember? My problem is because of my insomnia. I cannot sleep until 3 am or thereabouts. That is the reason why my problems have become bigger.”

The male matron smiled and laughed a bit. I had not seen him smile in all my two hours at the ICU when I had been a rushed-in admission after a spike in my blood pressure. He had been standing alongside the cardiologist and the night-hour on-duty doctor while my case was being discussed. I had seen him reading through my file and repeatedly lifting his head to look at me as if he did not believe my case. I knew that he was very sceptical and we had to talk.

This was the first time that I had seen a male matron moving about in an ICU, very confident and knowledgeable and in control of his team. I looked around my section of the ICU. We were in an internal sub-section of the very large ICU area. At this time, well past midnight, there were four female and eight male nurses moving about, silently, intent on their tasks, checking their wards, unsmiling, looking at the patient files, examining their catheters and drips.

They were in the new uniforms, both male and female, except that the women wore pink colored shirts and trousers while the men were in Prussian blue. They did not look like the nurses of earlier years, dressed in white, without their narrow-waisted gowns and smart perky caps. The younger male nurses were rushing through, not reading the patient files in detail and were simply whisking off the catheter to hastily replace with new ones.

“What does my file say about my blood pressure reading?” I asked the young male nurse as he picked up my patient file. “Is it ok? Do they write about my ECG and blood pressure? Is there any written report that I can read?”

“I do not know,” he replied. “I do not read any of that stuff on these green pages. You have to ask Nagare Sir.”

“Who is Mr. Nagare Sir? Your ICU matron? He may not allow me to read my file. Why don’t you read them?”

He did not reply. He had glanced back hastily and had seen the matron watching the both of us chatting at this later than late midnight hour. ICU patients were supposed to be asleep and a chatting nurse was very suspicious. I smiled at the matron and as I thought, he did not smile back. Boy, was he strict or what? But he had not seemed so. I watched him chat with the lady patient from Bed No. 32 who was walking around. She must have been in her late eighties, I guessed. She was walking from her bed section to the Matron’s counter and making a circuit of the medicine carts and the on-duty doctors. She did not talk to anyone but just ambled along, slowly. My guess was that she was chanting, most possibly. She was worried about something but did not want to allow her fear to overpower her. She had been chanting like this, all her adult life, and it gave her courage and strength. She was here, wasn’t she, in the ICU, walking about peacefully, smiling, not worried about the ceiling a/c units and not avoiding the cold draft.

“She has a surgery tomorrow morning, early tomorrow morning. She may survive and she may not. She knows.”

Startled at the very deliberately enunciated low voice very close to me, I turned around hastily. It was Mr. Nagare. He had come up silently and had been standing alongside, watching the lady patient from Bed No. 32 as I had done.

“She seems very courageous,” I said. “Do you know if she is chanting something? She does not sleep easily?”

“Would you? Would you sleep as easily if you know that you had a surgery tomorrow morning and you are all alone here in the ICU and your family does not bother if you not return from the hospital at all? Not concerned at all.”

I looked at the lady, concerned and worried about her now. I watched her smile at the doctor-on-duty and pat him on his shoulder and comfort him about something. A lady nurse came up to her to ask her to return to the bed and she pointed at Mr. Nagare, the matron, standing next to me. So he had permitted her to walk around in the ICU.

“Nagare Saheb, that is not fair,” I said. “You do not allow me to move around and do not allow me my laptop and cellphone and you allow her to walk about. Is it ok if I can talk with her? I can give her company until dawn if you think that is ok. I am a compulsive insomniac and try as much as you can, I am not going to get knocked off to sleep. If she is ok with my company, I can sit with her here, in my section and chat. We will not disturb the other patients.”

Without any reply, he went up to the lady and placed a hand on her elbow and brought her to my cot. I brought my palms together and greeted her. She willingly sat on one corner of the bed and looked at me, silent, without judging me. I could sense it. She had no opinion. She was just there, accepting of anything that would happen to her.

“Mataji, I am here for blood pressure and insomnia and panic attacks. All my problems are of a fast moving world and addiction to multi-tasking and the internet and working on computers all the time. This visit will probably slow me down when I return and after two to three months, I may get back to the same intensity and take more chances.”

She smiled. She knew that I was trying to make small talk. She pulled out her chanting beads and gestured.

“I just do jaap. I recite his nama, incessantly, without any stop. It must be the same. I also love my god in the same way that you love your work. We are the same. If we do not do what we do now, we will do something else and will once again be drowned in the same rush. Our matron Sir must have told you that I am having a surgery tomorrow and he must have told you that I may survive or may not. Do not worry about me. My family has given up on me. But my god has not. I know it. If he calls me to him, tomorrow, I win. If he does not call me to him, I win. It is the same.”

Mr. Nagare laughed. I smiled. It was very difficult not to be emotional and not to be able to show it visibly.

“I am only aware of the magic of meeting new people. Each person is different and I feel very strongly that each new individual is in HIS plan for me. He always sends someone to me. My family hardly ever talks to me. They are only interested in my bank accounts and legal documents. When I walk, and when I chant, I am grateful that my poor 87 year old ankles still have the strength. We will meet tomorrow, for sure. I hope you will be here when I return.” 

From "the very short short stories on first edit" 
(c) Bharat Bhushan
2 February 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment