a dust storm in Jaipur, Genghis Khan, and a family busy with their books

I watched the dust storm gather strength on the tarmac and the runways from the safety of the interiors of the airport at Jaipur. It was getting somewhat worrisome. I wondered if it would delay all departures. My flight was to New Delhi and onwards to Pune with quite a number of hours to be in transit. I was usually careful about that sort of a time gap between flights but this could take it right up to the edge. The announcements were coming in. Flights were being delayed and it was by three hours for now and could be much more. I logged in to my ticket status and checked the one from Delhi to Pune and relaxed. Several flights out of Delhi were also getting delayed. Now, I could settle in at the departure area, find a silent and comfortable section and get out a book to read.

Most passengers were seated nearer to the high outer windows and were watching the dust storm. The regulars from Jaipur and those who looked very much local were in the middle section, not bothered, and were busy with their cellphones or were napping. What was there to watch in a dust storm for someone from Jaipur? I walked around a bit, scouting for a good location. About four entire long rows of rather comfortable seats were somewhat less crowded. The reason became obvious as I neared it. There were no television monitors or eateries or rest-rooms in the vicinity.

I made myself comfortable near a large potted palm and placed my haversack between my leg space and the plant. The other carry on had my airport stuff, books, bottled water, small packages of snacks and one particularly aromatic parcel of puri bhaji from an excellent foodcart near the railway station. I was looking forward to enjoying myself with it when on the flight or while at the transit lounge at the New Delhi airport. For now, I could be busy with my book.

An elderly couple on the other side of the potted palm had already made themselves quite at home, actually, in a way. They were snoring away happily while a younger couple were busy chatting with one another. They must be related, I guessed, for otherwise they would have been irritated or would have moved away to another section. I was ok with it for I was used to traveling with mixed group of fellow passengers in long distance railway trains, night buses and while staying in dormitories and whatever. Opposite, to the extreme corner, I had a group of pilgrims, from the sight of all the stuff that they carried and their dress. They also had a guruji amidst them and yet they were silent.

Right across me, the most intriguing group of all. An elderly gentleman, a not-so-youngish lady, and two very young kids, a boy and a girl, with about eight bags on alternate seats, being used for various purposes. The elderly gentleman had his elbow resting on a large carry-on bag while the lady was using one soft bag as a back support and had another bag tucked below her seat. The kids were more enterprising. Each one was using a bag as a pillow and backrest and was able to adjust adequately to sit across two seats. The more interesting of all, each one had a book.

Curiouser and curiouser, I tried to identify the books without giving away my intention. The elderly gentleman was reading a book that I recognised right away. It was one of the very popular Jim Corbett titles and I felt happy about it. Fellow nature lover. He must be a good person, I certified. Everything is all a-ok about him. The lady a book from the One-Minute-Manager series. Slim book about management and organisational behaviour. Hmmm, I thought. She must be a working professional, recently promoted, good organisation and wants to be better informed at work.

The young lad had a book from the Game of Thrones series. My mind went ‘Wow!’ That was some heavy reading. I had enjoyed the TV series but reading it had made me quite tired. This young fellow looked determined at his task and I saluted him. Not many adults would have picked it up at a book shop. They young lady, possibly his younger sister, had a novel-sized book about basic photography skills. I was impressed. She was not going to be one of those who were just happy to be a point-and-click accidental photographer just because her cellphone had a camera.

I could run an experiment, I thought to myself. I returned the heavy-set novel that I was about to read and picked out ‘The Wolf of the Plains’ about Genghis Khan by Conn Iggulden. The cover would be interesting to each one of them for it showed up the title about a wolf while it had interesting art work about Genghis Khan and of course the image would also be appealing. Something for the elderly gentleman and both the kids. I wanted to see if they would gaze at the cover, look for longer times, and would be curious enough to come over to chat with me.

Sure enough, the young lad glanced past, something clicked in his mind, and he turned back to look at it keenly. It had caught his imagination and he could not let it go. He walked over to the elderly gentleman and whispered. The elder looked around politely and casually, very casually, brought his gaze to my book. Now, he was hooked. He whispered back to the young lad and nodded. The lady was possibly the mother of the two kids and she had not moved her gaze out from her book. There was quite some furious and hectic whispering between the elder and the young lad.

It was however, the younger sister who was bolder and impulsive. She had been hooked on by the cover page of the book and she was smart. She picked up her mother’s cellphone and, I just guessed at this by her actions, must have typed in the title and googled about the book. She read it up and understood the contents and also realised that there were more titles in the series and that all were best sellers and were all about Genghis Khan and his descendants.

She walked up to the elderly gentleman and her brother and spoke in a stage whisper that I could hear very clearly. “It is not about a wolf. It is about the plains of Mongolia. It is about Genghis Khan. You will like it, brother. There is a book series and they have better Amazon ratings than ‘Game of Thrones’. It has history, war, adventure, geography and all other stuff in it. Dadaji, you will also like it. There is something about a wolf and an eagle in this particular book of the series. Mummy will not like it, maybe. The stories are very long. But, I checked about Mongolia. It is good country and the potential for photography is very good. I saw some of the photographs. Maybe I will go there.”

I was blown away, absolutely. The young girl must have been on the cellphone for just about two minutes or more. She had absorbed all this first-time information, rapid fast, and picked out just the salient facts for her brother. The elderly gentleman probably realised that I had heard all that she said. He looked at me and smiled, very politely.   


From "the very short short stories on first edit" 
(c) Bharat Bhushan
5 February 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment