On how the 'Shaheen' was written

I was planning to write a long poem about ambition and aspiration when my neighbor pointed at a high-flying falcon and said, "Iqbal Sahab, do you see that shaheen flying high in the sky? I have never seen it earlier in our mohalla."
That gave me an idea. Why not use Shaheen to depict ambition and aspiration? He is a free bird. My school teacher, long years ago, had spoken about how the Shaheen is always in search of new horizons. My abbajan had told me that you never see a Shaheen with slow-flying birds or with those that fly in a flock. He is always alone. Even if it is a sunny day or if the skies are darkened by clouds, you can see him out there, confident, searching, alone and rising higher.
I am going to write about Shaheen. My lines will go like this - aasman hi tera kinara, etc, etc but I need to add aspects of ambition and aspiration. The higher he rises, the farther is the horizon. But, he is not discouraged. He is always focused on his shikaar. He goes after the swift flying dove not because he likes to kill these small birds but because lahu garam rakhne ka yahi hai bahaana - zapatna, palatna, palatkar zapatna - he is focused and steadfast. I think I will write about it and my Shaheen will be known better than Iqbal,  the poet.

A short fictional essay for submission in a story-writing class

Bharat Bhushan
9 Feb 2020
Pune

No comments:

Post a Comment