Trying to hire cooks for the Daphabum expedition and how to bake a cake and custard

In those days, one had to wait it out at the Dibrugarh guest house in Assam for news and confirmation about aeroplanes or helicopters with space for people and animals and luggage to be sent out to Ramnagar in Arunachal Pradesh. I had been given instructions to meet the paramilitary desk and introduce myself and they would have a jeep to go out to the guest house. They did not do this for everyone. It was a courtesy because I was to be part of a multi-team effort to go to the most remote parts of India and participate in a long duration campout with many others.

Our group was assembling at the guest house and the team leader nodded at me in a rather cursory manner. I was quite upset. I had flown out at extremely short notice from Mumbai to Kolkata and on the next day out to Dibrugarh. I had been traveling non-stop except for a very brief nap at the Dum Dum airport and onwards to the last regular airport in Eastern India. A team member explained that the leader had actually been quite warm towards me and that he was a senior government officer from Kolkata and that this was much better than his welcome to fellow Bengalis.

I felt better at that and went up to the team leader and asked if there was any way that I could help since he was moving about, talking to many people and trying to coordinate various actions. He was startled. He had not expected that a ‘Bombaywala’ would want to help so willingly. So what, I thought, we all have our prejudices and perceptions.

“Ok! Come with me and do not wander away,” he said, almost grudgingly. “You do not know the language here and by the way these locals do not speak Assamese or Bengali. These fellows and some of these ladies are from many tribes in Arunachal and they do get by with some broken Assamese and Hindi. They refuse to speak Bengali even if they can understand it. Try talking in English and they will be very happy. That is the best respect that you can give.”

I smiled politely and laughed a bit. “I am in these parts for the first time. Never been to East India. I will learn.”

“We have to hire a group of cooks and this is as good a time as any. We have to search amidst all these waiting groups of local people who want to return to Ramnagar. We actually need the cooks to be from that place so that we do not have to hire inefficient guys from here and have to send them back. We will be traveling from Ramnagar to other camping spots and all that area is Lishu country in the Daphabum ranges. We need cooks who know the area, who live in the area and we need tough guys, those who know how to cook in the tough climatic conditions out there.”

This was the first time that I had heard that it would be tough out there. “What tough climatic conditions? Are we not going to be camping in good alpine tents and in local circuit houses and in the local panchayat settlements?”

“Yes, Yes. We do have good equipment. But we do not carry the local climate with us. We are helpless with that.”

This was getting to be rather cryptic. I had seen the desert and I had seen the Western Ghats. I had seen the winter at Bharatpur and at Aligarh. So what if I had not been to the Himalayas. We were not planning to go up the Everest in any case. What was it about the Eastern Himalayas that one had to be worried about, especially with the climate?

I walked up to the team leader as he started talking to a mixed group of elders, young men and elderly women. They were seated together around what looked like four baskets filled with live chicken, large hens and roosters and young ones. Two of the youngsters had their hands busy with managing four goats. One of the elders had a very young mule nearer to him. The ladies were seated on large gunny sacks of potatoes and yam and arbi (colocassia).

My team leader was speaking in a mix of Assamese, Bengali and broken up local tribal dialects and Hindi and some words of English. Each time that he would speak in English, he would point at one of the elders and he would be met with a lot of nodding and ‘yes, yes, yes, yes’. I had my own doubts that they had actually understood. I was wrong.

A young man replied in English. Perfect convent school English. “Yes, Sir. You can get good cooks who can help you in your camping. A father and son are here right now in the guest house. I will call them. Both are good cooks.”

One of the younger lads ran off to a neighbouring group and explained the matter and two men came up to meet us. They introduced themselves. The younger one introduced the elder, and said, “Apu. He is Apu.” And then, proudly, he extended his hand to introduce himself, and said, “Apu. I am Apu. Son of Apu. He is my father. I am son.”

The English speaking young man explained to me, “Apu is first born. His father was first born and so he is Apu. His first born son is also called Apu. But his actual name will be different but we all call them as first born. It is a great honor to be the first born son of a first born father. They are good cooks and also very good hunters. The best.”

“Hunters? What do we need hunters for?” I thought, worriedly. “Were we not going to carry our food supplies?”

My team leader was not worried about this issue, I realised, as I watched him explain his needs to Apu and Apu. He wanted them to be familiar with a list of food items. He ticked them off very fast. Steamed rice, lentil soup, chapatis, vegetables to be made in good Bengali gravy, non-vegetarian items to be made especially like in the army and paramilitary cantonments, not in the Assamese or Arunachal manner, sweet dishes like kheer and other items with milk and sugar, and especially, he was very particular about this, they needed to be able to bake cakes and custard pudding in stone ovens, out there in the tough climatic conditions below the Daphabum ranges south of Ramnagar.

I could see that this had Apu and Apu rather confused. The English speaking young lad questioned my team leader about it and got to know his exact requirements about baking a cake without a proper oven. It was something about using heated-up smooth large stones and placing them underground and creating a natural oven. The youngster translated all the points about the natural oven and explained it to Apu and Apu and the group. One of the elderly women got quite excited about it and, I thought, she said that it could not be done. An elder from a nearby group who had overheard everything came up and introduced himself. He had been a cook with the army and he knew of this method when he had been camping somewhere near Sikkim with the British Army officers, decades ago. He explained the salient details and Apu Senior nodded happily. He remembered the technique, he said. American Army in Second World War, he claimed. British Army, American Army. Which war? Where? How old were these guys? 

From "the very short short stories on first edit" 
(c) Bharat Bhushan
3 February 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment